Thursday, July 5, 2007

His last days trying to save that leg


This is a photo of the fixator that was put on by Dr Budsberg in UGA of Georgia.It was our last ditch attempt to fuse the leg bone together even with the bacteria present.

After the doctore found out that several beading attempts failed his response was
"Shit...I wish I had seen him 9 months ago".So do I.In truth most vets/surgeons are way out of their league when it comes to super bugs and the complications from them.The doctor in Georgia works strictly with these sorts of things and God knows I wish I had heard about him a year ago. The truth is that when the fixator was cut away before amputation one of the surgeons noticed that the screws that had broken off in the bone back in January were now in a position to be taken out. The reason: The bacteria had eaten its way down the screws virtually routing out the bone.So I see that in the end...there was no other option left and that not only was it systemic but any hopes of healing that bone were over. All because of procedure.
I've recently gone back to school and wonder if micro biology or animal law is where I belong. I'm conflicted and feel strongly about both.I spoke to a state rep yesterday about going through legislative channels here to change the law regarding pets status as property verses companions.She is willingto help me.Hopefully over time CT can be a leader in animals rights and the rights of owners to competent treatment of their companion animals.

No comments: