Sunday, September 2, 2007

one adequan shot so far


The stuff is expensive and is made from bovine trachea...after one injection with an inferior needle I saw no difference. The vet assistant gave me a puny little needle to use and its supposed to be an IM needle to it goes deep into the muscle. I'm thinking of sending his wheelchair back as well. He seems so uncomfortable in it.I don't think its a behavior issue because he is a very devoted dog and has always been obedient. The design is wrong for him .Too narrow and too tight around his genitals. I've tried putting a towel adjustment and I also noticed the yoke puts a great deal of compression on his spine.Over time I think it would compress the nerves and cause more pain. I may augment what is there by adding a bottom harness so that his back and neck aren't taking such a jolting action.Besides all that he's pogoing around at high speed pretty good its getting up and moving slow that are painful to watch.

I've resigned myself to giving him the best care I can and accepting it is a down hill slope from here. The amputation slowed its speed but so much damage was done I don't think we can ever go back to therapy work.The floors in hospitals are slippery and my own back and neck are taking a beating from hoisting him in the sling constantly.I'm pretty sad about that. I know lots of old folks would have been thrilled to see him but ...its just not possible at the moment.Unless i can produce a sling that takes the load off my elbow, shoulders and back I'll end up with a problem as well. Maybe I could come up with something...but the wheelchair is wrong i just know it. He's a good boy and he does what I ask. Period. So here we go again with money down the drain.

His nurse Sydney is totally devoted to his Dad and smothers him with love although Beebs would prefer he sleep in his own bed!

No comments: