Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bleeding from his penis

Oh boy...I had thought when I saw drops of blood coming out of there that it was surely a bladder infection. Unfortunately it's not...the culture came back clear that means its coming from his prostate . It's most likely an infection in the protate and after a physical exam the vet could not feel any enlargement so to speak of or any irregular shapes ect.
His back leg is horribly weak and one of the signs of protatis is terible back leg stiffness.
I'm learning way more than I ewver bargained for. I feel like I've been to vet school over the last year.
Naturally this blood appeared on Thanksgiving weekend while we had 2 international guest staying with us. Right now Mr Beebs is taking tramadol twice daily, deramax, and ciproflaxin 2 times daily. I did some research as soon as we got home from the vets and found that certain ab's work much better at getting into the gland and getting at the infection. The vet was all set to continue the cephalexin until I mentioned to her that I didn't think it was one of the more effective drugs in treating this scenario. She called me back half hour later and changed to ciproflaxin which thank God I had about 60 pills left over from the least ordeal.
The poor guy...my first thought was cancer...the vet says' neutering would solve it all. However after 13 surgeries I wonder how wise it would be to put him under again.The other vet agreed and said if it were my dog at 10 and with his history I wouldn't either. So we are aiming for quality of life..pain free living. I carry him everywhere it seems and my back feels like an 80 year old womans. He is chipper and flinging his toys around the room in fact he makes his son look like an old man the way he carries on. Appetite is really good. He enjoys rides, and short hops in the park. I watch very closely to see if he's happy. So far he has rebounded very well and I believe has a good quality of life.I never want to be selfish and keep him longer than he can stand to be here.
I'm working on my bill for the CT state legislature and went for an internship interview yesterday. I hope I land this as it will give me insight in ways no amount of schooling can. The interview went very well and if fate allows I'll be in there by January...and I'll do everything I can to make the world a better place for the beautiful animals we have in it.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Lori I am sad to hear that poor Mr. Beebs has a new infection. A curable one though right? Just thought I would look in on him and you and see how your legislature fight was coming. I appreciate your fight for all animals and for all owners! I will check back again and I hope he will be well and stronger.
Melissa & Casey
tplo 3/21/07
(from OD)