Thursday, January 25, 2007

What recourse do we have when our veterinarians fail

Well my nine year old Boxer Mr Beebs will never be the same again. It's heart breaking when I realize how what I intended to do (fix his leg) and what transpired are so opposite. Enterobacter is a serious bacteria in fact so serious that very few things can kill it. Today I will spend another $865.00 on a drug which he will need to be on for the rest of his life.
I asked another vet yesterday if she would sign a report saying the bacteria has caused this damage and his prognosis is thus.
"Oh I can't say anything like that" I got involved late in the game and there's no way I could say that the bacteria has caused all this"...(the good ole boys club hard at work watching each others back)
Right then and there I realized that vets like doctors cover each others backs even when they KNOW that they are wrong . I will make it my life mission to make vets as responsible for what they do to our pets lives as any MD.
I have to inject my dog every single day twice a day with Primaxine That means I can't go away on vacations, trips...or anything without hiring someone to come in that is capable of giving him an IM injection. The vet who did the surgery has changed my life and coomplicated it beyond belief. He shouldn't be allowed to write it off like an inconvenience. There is a seminar at Harvard law school this March 2007 and "Animal Law " will be the topic. I'll be there.

No comments: