Monday, December 8, 2008

Trials and Tribulations

Oh boy...it just seems like every holiday season one of the dogs develops a problem .Well this year both dogs have unexpectedly developed a problem which needs surgical attention asap. I just brought both dogs in for surgery this morning and feel bummed out.Mr Beebs has been acting and eating very strangely lately. It looked like his face was drooping and his mouth hung open.When he was eating it seemed like he was slinging food back into his throat and not chewing it at all. The vet said it was nausea related to the cephalexin...I pulled way back on that and the mouth remained hung and eating and drinking were sloppy and ineffective events. After 3 days of this I insisted he look again.Beebs lower jaw is without power whats so ever which means it could be a muscle disease.I mentioned how his left eye had been pussy of late and wondered what was happening.The vet looked in the eye lid and spotted a tumor which was causing the irritation. I had also brought Sydney in that day for moral support and in [passing asked the doctor why Sydneys nipples would be getting bigger and changing shape. He asked "Is he neutered" I said no. Well this must have happened suddenly because one of his testicles is the size of a grape the other a lemon.It has a tumor in it which is estrogen driven. Oh boy...the poor pups.So today If we are lucky Sydneys testicles will be cancer free and not metastasized and Mr Beebs tumor and jaw problem can also be overcome and corrected. I felt horrible leaving them there today and asked that they be put in the same dog run with blankets from home. I put on my Saint Frances medal which I do when I'm scared and pray for the boys. I heard on the radio today that saint frances can be credited for the creation of the manger scene which we see all over the world.My poor sister and brother in law just had to put down their 13 year old pup Duncan who was like my nephew and spent many good times with the boys and I. The same vet who is attending my guys today went to their home and ended his suffering in a place he knew and loved. This vet is a man I trust with all my heart.
Loving a dog is easy but letting them go is never.

No comments: